Classic New England Skiing and Riding
Nestled in the heart of the Mount Washington Valley, Black Mountain has been serving up snow, smiles and memories since 1935. From the Shovel Handle, the first overhead cable lift in the country, to snowmaking on the Whitney slope in 1957, one of the first snowmaking systems in New England, Black’s history is rich with a commitment to its skiers and riders. Today, Black offers skiing and riding for all ages and abilities across over 140 acres, 5 lifts and 45 trails. Updated snowmaking on 98% of terrain and robust grooming make Black a sure bet for quality skiing and riding any day of the season. On a powder day, locals choose Black as the place to be for its manicured glades, summit steeps and non-existent lift lines.
Beginners start on the East Meadow Rope Tow, and then move up to the Platter Pull for easy cruising down Ninow and Jubilee. The East Bowl Triple serves 80% of Black’s classic New England style terrain including favorites like Juniper, Sugarbush, and Jackson Standard. Head up the Summit Double to access Black’s full 1,100 feet of vertical drop and amazing views of Mount Washington and the valley below. Take Upper Maple Slalom to Carter Notch glades to get those legs burning, or choose the more mellow corduroy of Upper Black Beauty.
After a day of shredding, kick back in the Lostbo Pub for a wide variety of brews, spirits and pub style food. Catch live entertainment every weekend and holiday period. When a conversation sparks on the lift or in the pub, ask someone why they choose Black over all the competition. For many, its a place they always come back to, and a place where things are a little less hectic. It’s a place where several generations of their family learned how to ski, and many more will do the same.
Skiable Terrain: 143 Acres
Primary Exposure: South
Summit Elevation: 2350'
Vertical Drop: 1100'
Snowmaking: 2000 gallons per min
1935 – Moody’s Inn (Presently Whitney’s Inn) installs a ropetow to draw guests up to Jackson.
1936 – Bill and Betty Whitney purchase Moody’s Inn and rename it Whitney’s. The rope tow is modified with the installation of Sears & Roebuck Shovel Handles for easier riding.
1948 – 3,500 ft long Constam T-Bar installed, giving the mountain 700’ of vertical, and new trails including Whitney, Davis, Hardscrabble and Maple. Whitney’s Hill is renamed Black Mountain.
1949 – Spruce and Runaway trails added.
1954 – Shovel Handles replaced with JBars on Whitney Hill Lift
1957 – Black Mountain installs its first snowmaking system.
1959 – 1960 – Night skiing lights are added on Whitneys hill, as well as a skating rink, and a new base building is built near the T Bar
1960 – A 1,150-foot-long Mueller T-Bar is added to service novice terrain.
1965 - The Double Chair was is added, increasing vertical to 1,100 feet
1969 – Betty and Bill Whitney retire, handing over the reins to former ski patrol director Don Murray and his wife Kathy.
1982 – A group of local businessmen take over Black Mountain and begin a 5 year investment plan. The base lodge is expanded by 10,000 feet
1984 – Top to bottom snowmaking is installed, and the Triple Chair replaces the Constam T Bar
1994 – The Mueller T Bar is Converted to the Platter Pull.
1995 – The Fichera family takes over ownership of Black Mountain.
1998 – Lostbo Trail is added.
1999 – White Knuckle, Lostbo Glades and Hi Road added.
2000 – Sugar Glades and Rabbit Run Added.
2002 – Black Forest, Maple Glades, T2 and Sweet Dreams added.
2004 – Horseback Riding is offered for the summer and fall seasons.
2011 – Centac Air compressors added to increase snowmaking capacity & efficiency.
2013 – Rope Tow learning area added
2016 – Acquired new BR-500 snowcat, 52 high efficiency snow guns.